Home Security Tips & Advice
Tips, Advice and Security Risk Assessments from Stapletons Lock & Safe
There are plenty of ways that you can protect your home from being targeted for crime. Read some of our tips for a few ideas.
- Always lock the door and close the windows when you go out, even if you'll only be out for a short time.
- All external doors should have BSi approved locks.
- Window locks can help to stop people getting in, especially in older windows and windows without double glazing.
- Use deadlocks if you have them - they make it harder for thieves to get out again.
- If you are thinking of PVC or composite doors/windows, make sure they come with BSi or SBD approved locks and a fitted chain, as these can be expensive to add afterwards.
- Patio doors should have special locks fitted to the top and bottom to prevent the doors being lifted out.
- Don't leave spare keys outside or in a garage or shed. Keep garden sheds and garages locked and think about using a battery-operated alarm.
- Keep car and garage keys out of sight in the house.
- Don't leave window and door keys in their locks.
- Always draw your curtains at night and make sure valuable items cannot be easily seen from outside.
- Use timers for lights and radios if you will be out of the house overnight. They create the impression that someone is at home. It is not recommended to use TVs for this purpose.
- Visible burglar alarms, good lighting and security lighting can be deterrents. Particularly ensure that recessed areas and doorways have good security lighting.
- Walls and solid fencing around your house may let a thief break in without being seen. Trees and shrubs can also be hiding places. Chain-link fencing or trellises with prickly shrubs can be a better compromise.
- Make sure that garden tools or ladders that could be used to force entry into your home are not left lying around.
- Fit a 'spy hole' so that you can see who is at the door. Also have a door chain so that you can open the door a little way to talk to visitors.
- Mark your belongings with a property-marking product.
NB. Make sure that any security improvements you make to your house don't stop you getting out as quickly as possible if there is a fire.
Security Risk Assessments
Stapletons have been involved in assessing domestic and commercial site security for locations across the country, including retail outlets, business units, banks and domestic premises for almost 50 years.
Call now for a detailed breakdown of the security systems and services offered by Stapletons. We will ensure that the risk of unwanted access and vandalism is minimised, and appropriate technology is in place to help prevent, detect and enable identification of any such events.
Contact us now if you need to book an appointment on 01909 474647, or...
Our retail & trade store offers a large selection of locking products, safes & ironmongery and includes...